Entries are invited for the 2014 ANZVS Viola Composition Competition.
Aim: To promote composition and performance of new viola works in Australia and New Zealand.
Deadline: Friday 9th May 2014
Conditions of Entry:
- The composer must be a resident or citizen of Australia or New Zealand.
- Viola Solo (unaccompanied)
- Two or more violas (violas only)
Composers may submit one entry in each category.
- Pieces are to be up to five minutes duration.
- The composition must indicate metronome markings and duration.
- The composition must not have been previously performed in public, or previously published, nor may it be a transcription in part or whole of another work that has been previously published or performed.
- The manuscript must be easily legible on unbound single-sided A4 sheets and suitable for scanning. The composer must be identified on the manuscript itself by a nom-de-plume to ensure anonymity.
The composer’s details are to be included on the attached entry form and sealed in a separate envelope to accompany the manuscript. The nom-de-plume must be written on the outside of this envelope.
- The original manuscripts with three photocopies, three soundfiles on CD or DVD (synthesised renditions acceptable) and for multiple viola works one set of parts or a PDF file of parts of the work must be sent to:
Mrs A. Brooker, Coordinator
ANZVS Viola Composition Competition
1A Waimarie Street
Entries must be received by 9th May 2014.
- Judging: ANZVS has appointed a panel of three adjudicators with a range of experience in composition and performance on the viola. The panel’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Prizes: $200 in prize money for each category.
One additional prize of $100 will be awarded for best composition in either category written by a composer studying at secondary school or equivalent in 2013.
The adjudicators reserve the right not to award a prize in any of the three categories.
- Winners will be announced at the Auckland Viola Convention 7th- 8th June, 2014 (date to be confirmed). The winning, highly commended compositions and entries from composers who attend the weekend will then be performed in a workshop setting.
- Results will be published in the next issue of the ANZVS Journal after the prize-giving.
- Printing and Copyright
Though the copyright of their work remains with the composer, it is a condition of entry that the composers of the winning works (with the composer’s real name acknowledged) allow the
ANZVS to publish the works in the ANZVS Journal.
- Manuscripts and Photocopies
Manuscripts and photocopies will be retained to be used in workshops at the Auckland Viola Convention. At all times copyright remains with the composer.
Closing date: competition entries are to be received by Friday 9th May 2014.