Call for scores for the Mauricio Kagel Composition Competition:
Conditions for Participation
a) The competition is open to all composers born after September 1st, 1972. Winners of the 2010
edition of the Mauricio Kagel Composition Competition are no longer eligible to enter.
b) The scores submitted must be unpublished and less than three years old.
c) Each composer is permitted to submit one score; which may be comprised of several pieces.
Details of the composition
• The score should be for one piano, and may include all of its facets and possibilities (solo,
four-hands, utilizing the interior of the piano, prepared piano, expansion of the instrument
• The pieces should have a level of difficulty suitable to be played by children/young adults.
• Instructions for performance must be written in German or English.
• The piece or group of pieces is expected to have a total length of between 6 and 15 minutes.
a) The participants are to anonymously send an envelope which is to be marked on the outside with a
freely chosen five-digit code which does not give any indication to the identity of the participant. The
envelope should contain:
1. six copies of the piano score (all anonymous, the composer’s name should not appear on the
score), each annotated with the same five-digit code.
2. an additional sealed envelope marked with the same code and containing the composer’s personal
data, a short curriculum vitae and two recent photos.
b) All entries must be postmarked no later than September 1st, 2012 and should be addressed to:
Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Wien
Institut Ludwig van Beethoven