The Australian and New Zealand Viola Society is holding a composition competition to be judged at their viola convention in March. Details below and download entry form at the bottom.
1. The composer must be a resident or citizen of Australia or New Zealand.
a. Viola Solo (unaccompanied)
b. Two or more violas (violas only)
Composers may submit one entry in each category.
3. Pieces to be up to 5 minutes duration.
4. The composition must have metronome markings.
5. The composition must not have been previously performed in public or published.
6. The manuscript must be easily legible on unbound single-sided A4 sheets and suitable for scanning. The composer must be identified on the manuscript itself by a nom-de-plume to ensure anonymity.
The composer’s details are to be included on the attached entry form and sealed in a separate envelope to accompany the manuscript. The nom- de-plume must be written on the outside of this envelope.
7. The original manuscripts with three photocopies must reach:
Mrs. A Brooker
ANZVS VIOLA COMPOSITION COMPETITION 1A Waimarie Street
New Zealand 1071
Not later than 20 February 2013.
The inclusion of a sound file is encouraged in Sibelius or MP3 formats.
8. Judging: ANZVS has appointed a panel of three adjudicators with a range of experience in composition and performance on the viola. The panel’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
9. Prizes: $200 in prize money for each category. One additional prize of $100 will be awarded for best composition in either category written by a composer studying at secondary school or equivalent in 2012.
The adjudicators reserve the right not to award a prize in any of the three categories.
10. Winners will be announced and the winning and highly commended compositions will then be performed in a workshop setting at the Auckland Viola Convention 9-10 March 2013.
11. Results will be published in the ANZVS Journal June 2013.
12. Printing and Copyright
Though the copyright of their work remains with the composer, it is a condition of entry that the composers of the winning works (with the composer’s real name acknowledged) allow ANZVS to publish the works in the ANZVS Journal.
13. Manuscripts and photocopies will be retained to be used in workshops at the Auckland Viola Convention. At all times copyright remains with the composer.